In India, despite the rise in violence in Afghanistan and imminent take over of the country by the Taliban, the citizens or ‘Aam Janta’ is in a state of don’t know or don’t care.
This is a very sorry state as many millennials (Gen Y & Gen Z) are completely unaware of the lost decade of Afghanistan which was filled with chaos, fighting, and mass executions between different factions and warlords between 1991–2001. This trend per se did not change even after the Taliban took over Kabul in 1996.
Similar to the situation during the lost decade, the following things will remain same when the Kabul is again taken over soon
- No Education for Girls above the age 8
- No Music, Kite Flying
- No shaving of beards
- Women cannot go out without a male accompanying them. If she is found in violation, she will be whipped in public by the religious police
- Public execution will be the norm
- Any opposition of any kind will be subdued brutally
- Child marriages & sex slaves for Taliban fighters will go on (it has already started in the captured provinces
Feminists or Even Liberals in India can sum up with a simple expression – ‘We do not care.’
This silent acceptance of the expression was clear during the Syrian War when ISIS was taking over the areas belonging to the Yazidis. No female – child, girl, or woman of any age group were spared. They were sold to the ISIS fighters as “sex slaves”.
Look at the predicament faced these women
Considering this as template, the current situation in Afghanistan will be no different. The intelligentsia and ‘Feminists’ are not going to protest in any way.
None are aware or feign ignorance despite TV and Youtube Channels blurting out analysis and content regarding what might happen to Afghanistan and its population if the Taliban come to power again.
Sorry to end on a somber note but this is a fact.